Ekurhuleni West TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) College (EWC) was established in 1998 as part of the FET (Further Education and Training) Act in the Gauteng Province.
To keep up with the changes accompanying the coronavirus, Ekurhuleni West College has taken advantage of technology to provide wholesomely accurate information to promote remote teaching and learning. Although the changes were uncomfortable for the students and staff alike, they quickly adapted to the “new normal”. The reason being Ekurhuleni West College is implementing a Learning Management System to enable students to easily access their courses.
Ekurhuleni West College has six campuses in the following areas; Alberton, Boksburg, Germiston, Kathorus (in Katlehong/ Vosloorus/ Thokoza), Kempton (in Kempton Park), and Tembisa.
Ekurhuleni West College’s mission is to equip its students with the vital knowledge and skills for self-employment or employment in the government or private sector.
That is why in September 2020, Ekurhuleni West College partnered with Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) and Absa to organize its maiden virtual Employability Skills Workshop for NC(V) Level 4 students in all its campuses. The goal of the workshop was to provide skills to students at EWC to promote sustainability and self-development.
Below you will find the variables of the application process and any extra information that will help with the process and questions you might have.
In this article, we will discuss Ekurhuleni West College’s requirements and application.
Requirements for Ekurhuleni West College Application
- A valid email address and phone number.
- Certified copy of your ID document for South African nationals. International students ought to provide their passport number.
- Evidence that you have paid the registration fee, which is compulsory for foreign students and South African students.
- Provide your exam results. If you are in Grade 12 at the time you are applying, provide your Grade 11 results. If you have completed Grade 12, apply with your final Grade 12 results.
- Prospective students who are holders of a South African Senior Certificate require matriculation endorsement.
- Qualifying for a matriculation exemption certificate is mandatory for all prospective students who are holders of non-South African School Leaving Certificates.
- Evidence of residential address and over necessary contact details.
In addition to these, international students have to provide
- TOEFL, IELTS, or other accredited English proficiency exam results to qualify them.
- A study permit that is valid for the study period.
- SAQA Foreign Qualifications Evaluation
Other requirements include:
National Certificate Vocational (NQF Level 2) lasts One year per NQF level.
- Grade 9 or higher
- NQF Level 1
- ABET Level 4
National Certificate Vocational (NQF Level 3) lasts one year for each NQF level.
- Competency in Learning Outcomes at NQF Level 2 of the same sub-field / programme.
National Certificate Vocational (NQF Level 4) lasts one year for every NQF level.
- Competency in Learning Outcomes at NQF Level 3 of the same sub-field / programme.
Generally, you need a total of 7 subjects: 3 Fundamental and 4 Vocational subjects, of which three are compulsory, and one is optional to obtain a National Certificate.
Post Grade 12 (Semester Courses)
- NSC / N3 / Grade 12 for N4
- N4 for N5
- N5 for N6
Only the Kempton Campus offers N4, and it does so on a part-time basis. Do well to contact the campus you will like to study at for specific admission requirements.
- Students have to complete 18 months of relevant practical experience to obtain a National Diploma
- Prospective students into bachelor’s degree programs holding a National Senior Certificate ought to pass at least four subjects with a rating more than or equal to 4 from among the 18 crucial subjects.
- Create a unique email address to receive notifications from Ekurhuleni West College.
- Visit the Ekurhuleni West College at http://www.ewc.edu.za/.
- Fill the application form with all the required details as prompted.
- Upload all the required documents.
- Click “submit” only after carefully going through your application form to correct errors and fill lapses.
Unlike other institutions, Ekurhuleni West College does not provide student accommodation.
There is an online link for returning students to apply; this means any Ekurhuleni West College student that is returning to EWC to do another semester or another trimester.
Suppose you are thinking of applying for the NSFAS bursary. In that case, you will need to upload the required documents, which is the proof of income of your parents and or legal guardian. You will need to upload the identity documents o your parents and or legal guardian as well. Please note this is important, as your application will not process without the required documents.
Please note that the bursary application does not guarantee that bursary will be awarded, as the bursary funds are limited and not every student will be successful. As a standard, all class fees will be paid as per usual and in the case of a student receiving a bursary, the fees paid will be refunded.
The application portal is open throughout the year.
Applicants can apply to study any of the following courses depending on the programme they are applying to study.
- General Engineering and Information Technology Courses
- National Certificate Vocational (NQF Level 2)
- Finance, Economics and Accounting
- Office Administration
- Transport & Logistics
- Civil Engineering and Building Construction
- Electrical Infrastructure Construction
- Engineering and Related Design
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- N4 – N6 Business Management
- N4 – N6 Financial Management
- N4 – N6 Management Assistant
- N4 – N6 Human Resources Management
- N4 – N6 Marketing Management
- N3 – N6 (Post Grade 12)
- N3 – N6: Electronic Engineering (Light Current)
- N3 – N6: Mechanical Engineering
- N3 – N6: Avionics
- Part-time Engineering
- Education and Development
If you have any worries, contact the Ekurhuleni West College, preferably during working hours through:
Telephone: 066 015 5656/ 063 653 9515/ 082 569 6329
Address: Driehoek and Sol Road Germiston 1200