SARS eFiling is a free online process for the submission of tax returns in South Africa. This service makes it possible for taxpayers, including businesses, to submit returns securely online.
If your total income for the year is not more than R500 000, you do not need to submit a tax return.
The procedure for submitting your tax returns online is:
- Log on to the internet and go to www.sarsefiling.co.za.
- You will need a user name and password.
- Once on the site, click on the Log In-option.
- Your name should appear as the first entry under the heading: Taxpayer List. The title of the page should be Income Tax Work Page.
- On this page, you can click on the Returns Issued-option. This option should be in the left-hand menu. Clicking on it will take you to the Personal Income tax details. The title of the page will change to Return Search. It should show the return you are busy completing.
Start working on your tax.
- Your name, reference number, return type, status, and due date will be on the screen.
- Click on Open.
- Read the information on the pop-up. On the Income Tax Work Page of SARS eFiling, you will see a summary of the details on your tax return for the year.
- Under return type, click ITR12. Note that the Tax Period matches the applicable tax season.
Set up the sections of your return.
- On the first page of your return on eFiling, you will find questions aimed at building a return that is specific to you.
- On the next page, you will have to fill in your personal details.
- You will need to add any items remaining uncompleted.
In some cases, SARS will block you from entering values. This problem is due to your answers to previous questions. Suppose the system stops you from entering something. In that case, you probably aren’t meant to enter anything there and can move along without doing so.
If you have a problem entering something important into eFiling, contact 0800 00 7277 (0800 00 SARS) for technical assistance.
Once you’re confident that you have copied all relevant details and checked all the necessary checkboxes, click Save Return. You will see a confirmation message; click on continue.
You can determine whether you will get a refund or have to pay by using the Sars Tax calculator.
If you need to, you can reaccess this page later to make changes.
Once you are confident that your form is the way it should be, click on File Return. If a message pops up, make sure to read it.